The fence is one of the home decorating features that every homeowner wants to have. Sometimes, choosing a perfect fence can be very confusing because there are tons of styles, shapes, designs, and materials out there that you can choose from. Of course, each style and material has its own unique point that can affect the overall look of the house itself.
(You might also love this: Cozy Backyard Ideas to Create a Casual Outdoor Space)
How to Plan Installing Backyard Fences
Some things that you have to consider:
- What material will I choose for the fence?
– This will definitely affect the price of the product overall.
- How much does it cost to buy?
– Again, each material has its own pros, cons, and market that you have to think carefully about.
- How much does it cost to install?
– If the fence is made of materials that you can install by yourself, you will be able to save more for other stuff.
- Do I need to hire a professional?
– However, if you need professional help, you have to account for this as well in your budgeting plan.
- How much does it cost to maintain?
– Some materials might need regular maintenance to keep them looks clean and ‘new’ and the process might need some chemical products to use.
(You might also love this: Attractive Backyard Dining Ideas for A Cozy Dining Ambiance)
Prioritize your needs based on these points:
- Security: It means that you need something to protect your children and pets and prevent them from going outside. For this purpose, you will need a fence that is made of sturdy materials with proper height and tight space between each board.
- Privacy: This purpose is usually if you have an outdoor hot tub or swimming pool so you want to make sure it’s free from unwanted sight from outside. For this one, you will have to choose a complete solid fence that has no space between boards.
- Aesthetic: Last but not least, you just simply want a fence that works as a protection feature but also looks attractive. This fence style has tons of options that you can choose from with various designs and prices.
(You might also love this: Backyard Pergola Ideas to Make Your Outdoors Looks Outstanding)
- Wood is the most versatile material that you can choose to use in your backyard. Not only because it’s quite affordable also it lets you decorate the way you want from height, style, and size. Wood is also a material that you can install by yourself so you don’t have to spend an extra budget on hiring a professional.
- Metal: The popular fence that is made of metal is a chain-link fence and it’s suitable for homeowners who have pets and want to keep them inside. A chain-link fence is also affordable and easy to install. The other types of metal fencings are wrought and cast iron that might need help from professionals.
- PVC or Vinyl: Another common fence material that becomes popular among many homeowners is PVC or vinyl. As its name suggests, this fence is made of plastic so if you need something strong and sturdy, you might need something else.
(You might also love this: 10+ Mesmerizing Backyard Decor Ideas You Need to Copy Now)
Based on the point above, you might want to keep in mind how to maintain each material:
- Wood can be materials that are quite affordable and easy to install but you have to make sure that it needs regular maintenance for about 2-3 years to apply new stain or repaint.
- Metal fencing is basically a maintenance-free, sturdy, and long-lasting material because you don’t have to restain or repaint it. Since it’s made of metal, the only problem that it might face is rust.
- Vinyl doesn’t really need regular maintenance since it won’t rust nor rot. However, since it’s a quite hollow material, you will have to consider the cost of reparation if it breaks or cracks by active children, pets, or bad weather.
(You might also love this: Beautiful Backyard Design Ideas You Wish You Had Immediately)
Hope this helps and now you’re ready to install a fence for your own backyard!