Bathrooms are areas that you need to keep clean and smell fresh no matter if it’s a master or guest bathroom. A smelly and stinky bathroom is definitely not the kind of bathroom that you want to have. There are a few causes that can make a bathroom smells bad from a damp atmosphere to piled debris on the bathroom sink and drain. Sometimes we might think that our bathroom looks clean but it doesn’t guarantee that the whole bathroom is clean from bad odor.
Both master and guest bathrooms need to serve a good experience in terms of overall ambiance because it will affect the bath time quality. You also don’t want to leave a bad impression on the coming guests by having a smelly bathroom. On this page, we are going to present to you some ways that you can use to remove and prevent bad odor in the bathroom. Most steps are easy to do with affordable materials that you can find in your own kitchen. For other tips and ideas, check them out on divesanddollar.com.
How to Keep Bathroom Clean and Smell Fresh
Below we have some easy and simple ways on how to make your bathroom smell good and fresh without having to make a total remodeling to your current bathroom.
1. Clean Regularly
This step is probably the most basic thing that you have to do to keep the bathroom clean and smell good. Some activities that you can do are:
- Throwing away wet and damp towels that you can do every day after a shower. This is the simplest and easiest step you can do on a daily basis.
- Cleaning thoroughly around the toilet, sink, vanity, and other spots. It definitely helps a lot to keep the bathroom clean and away from bad smells.
- Checking if there is a leak or damp area that is possible to be the manifest of mold and bad smells.
2. Good Ventilation
Cleaning thoroughly is a must but another point that affects the air circulation of any room is a good ventilation system. The ventilation system can be gotten from an exhaust fan or bathroom windows.
- If you have a big window, you’re lucky to have a good ventilation system because natural fresh air can fill in your entire bathroom.
- Every time you are done with the shower, open your window, close the door, and let new air into the bathroom.
- If you have an exhaust fan, you can turn it on for a few minutes after the shower to make all the moisture away and the bathroom becomes dry.
3. Automatic Air Freshener
If ventilating is not enough to make your bathroom smell good, use air freshener products for more effect. There are various types of air freshener products out there that you can choose from spray to solid forms. One of the popular products is an automatic air freshener.
This product comes with a timer that you can set to spread its product with a range time between 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and an hour. The variety of the products is also various so you can choose the one that you love from floral, fruity, misty, or even food scent like coffee variant.
4. Reed Diffuser
Reed diffusers become a popular item nowadays because of their various scents that you can choose based on your needs and preference just like air freshener products. The scent is very broad from relaxing, refreshing, and calming because each variant has different notes. Also, it’s visually pleasing for those who are looking for something that is eye-catching and can be a decoration item.
For this one, please make sure that it’s placed in a safe spot that is far from the shower. Some spots that you can consider;
- On top of the toilet
- Above the bathtub (if there’s a shelf)
- Next to the window, door, or exhaust fan (where the air flows)
- On the dry area (vanity)
5. Essential Oils
Just like a reed diffuser, essential oils are also one of the items that can make any room feel different. There are some ways to use this product:
- Put it in a diffuser
- Place it in a higher spot
- Put a few drops in the toilet tank. This way you can get an instant good smell when flushing the toilet.
Other than essential oils, you can also use a clothing softener product and pour it into the toilet tank.
6. Bathroom Sink
Bathroom sinks can be another source of bad odor because we usually use them for brushing teeth or washing hands.
- One of the simplest ways to clean the sink is by using boiling water and pouring it into the sink drain.
- You can also mix it with a lemon squeeze, vinegar, or baking soda.
- Make sure that there are no leaks from the bottom part of the sink that becomes the source of moisture in the bathroom.
7. Bathroom Drains
The drainage system in the bathroom is just like the sink because all the waste goes through it. Some methods that you can do to clean the drain are:
- Dilute boiling water and salt to pour into the drains.
- Mixing boric acid and water to take away all the debris that might stop the drain.
- Using a hair clipper to take out some hairs that piling up in the drain that may cause a bad odor.
- Bathroom drains usually have a stopper that closes the drain area and you will also need to clean this feature because sometimes there is a lot of things that are stuck in the stopper.
8. Good Bath Mats
Using a good bath mat with a super absorbent feature can help to decrease the moisture that can make your bathroom smell bad. The damper your bathroom, the faster it causes bad odor especially if you let your wet towels stay inside the bathroom for a long time. Investing in a good bath mat will never disappoint you to get an extra dry surface since you’re not letting any bacteria grow faster around a damp and humid ambiance.
Those are some easy guides on how to keep bathrooms smelling good and fresh. We hope that these steps can help you to prevent the bad odor away from your master and guest bathroom. Now it’s time for you to make your own bathroom smell good by trying out one of these steps!