As a part of the dining set, a dining table is the heart of the dining room that needs to be admirable without opting out of its main function. Choosing the right dining table can affect the nuance of the dining room because if it’s too big for a small room, it will only make the room feels stuffy. On the other hand, if the table is too small or in the wrong shape, it might make the room looks hollow.
(You may also love this: Magnificent Formal Dining Room Ideas for Your Special Moments)
In this article, we will give a few tips on how to pick the right dining table based to get a beautiful finish!
How to Choose Dining Table
Dining Room Size
First and foremost, make sure that you know the size of your dining room. Please make sure these points:
- The overall size and shape: Is it rectangular, square, or narrow rectangular?
- The hallway size: It’s the entrance to bring the table in. So if you have a small hallway and don’t have other entrance options, you may have to opt for a smaller table.
- Spot next to the dining set: If it’s a plain wall, please allow space about 42 – 48 inches to make diners feel comfortable to sit and get up.
- Other furniture: If there are other pieces of furniture, measure the space between the furniture and the table, not the wall.
- Existing big furniture: If you already have some, you have to either buy a small table or move the furniture to another room.
Dining Table Shape
After measuring the size of the dining room, choosing a dining table of suitable size is also important. There are some shapes that you can choose from:
- Rectangular: This shape is the most common and available in various styles, sizes, and designs. It suits a long and narrow traditional dining room. It can also be used as a divider if you’re going to make an open dining room between a kitchen and a living room.
- Square: This fits perfectly for a small dining room in a square shape to create an intimate atmosphere.
- Round: This is another option for a square room that gives a cozier and space-saving finish. This shape also allows the diners to communicate and reach the platter.
- Oval: The oval shape is great if you have a rectangular dining room and want to create a unique look traditional look.
(You may also love this: 10+ Exhilarating Open Dining Room Ideas for Minimalist Decor)
Concept and Material
Having a matching dining table with the overall concept of the dining room will surely increase its atmosphere whether from the material, color, or finish.
- If you have a modern dining room: a table with a marble top is a great choice.
- If you have a rustic, farmhouse, or simply want something versatile: a wood dining table will never disappoint you.
As for material, it will also give a different result to the look. Some options that you can choose and are commonly used to make a dining table are solid wood, reclaimed wood, glass, stone, laminate, and metal. Each material has its own pros and cons, just choose the one based on your budget and needs.
A few small details that some people might forget but important are:
- Give enough space for elbow and leg rooms. This feature can be found on a round table since it usually has a pedestal base. Some rectangular tables may also have the same feature but again, it may differ based on the number of diners you want to provide.
- If you want to create a space-saving concept, opt for a dining bench instead of a normal dining chair since it’s less bulky.
(You may also love this: Unique Green Dining Room Ideas for Chic Look)
Now get ready to give your dining room a new look with a new dining table!