The kitchen is one of the busiest areas that you use every day and not taking care of it will only attract roaches, weevils, mold, and other unwanted things. One of the important spots in a kitchen that sometimes might slip from our attention is a kitchen sink and drain. These two components always get exposed to debris, fat, oil, grease, and other materials from the dishes. When all this dirt is finally piling up, you will get nothing but a clogged drain, which can be very stressful.
(You may also like this: Inspiring Kitchen Remodel Ideas That’ll Make You Stunned)
To prevent this from happening, there are some tips that you can try to make your kitchen sink and drain stay clean.
How to Clean Kitchen Sink and Drain
To do these simple steps, you will need simple and affordable supplies that you have to prepare, such as:
- Boiling water
- White vinegar
- Dish soap/detergent
- Baking soda
# Regular Cleaning
This is the simplest and the basic thing that you need to do as a homeowner to keep the sink and drain controlled before everything is piled up. Regular cleaning can be done once in one or two weeks. Some things that you can check regularly in this step are:
- Checking if there’s any leak that might cause dampness, mold, or mildew and fix it.
- Doing the cleaning by using a homemade mix as mentioned above.
- Checking and cleaning the drain to make sure that big wastes are not thrown away to the sink directly.
- Other methods that may be useful and effective are to make the area around the sink clean and waste-free.
If you spot leaks and continuous clog in your sink drain, you might have to open up the drainage by yourself or a plumber.
(You may also like this: Stunning Wood Kitchen Ideas to Update Your Lovely Hub)
# Baking Soda and Vinegar Mix
These two supplies are very popular to solve some chore problems. As for baking soda, many people use it to remove the stinky smell instead of actually taking off the stain. However, in some cases, it works well to remove dirt and grease.
The step to use this combo is quite simple:
- Prepare a gallon of boiling water and pour it into the sink. The purpose of this step is to ‘soften’ fat, oil, and grease.
- Pour 1 tbsp of baking soda and a cup of vinegar into the sink and let it sits for about an hour.
- Pour another boiling water into the sink to rinse the baking soda and vinegar mix.
- If your drain is still unclogged, you could pour another boiling water into the sink.
(You may also like this: Attractive Open Kitchen Ideas to Enhance Your Minimalist Home)
# Dish Soap/Detergent
You can use regular dish soap or detergent as an alternative if there’s no baking soda or vinegar. Some people may not too familiar with this combo but you could find some others who feel that this works better.
- Start the process by pouring a gallon of boiling water into the sink.
- Proceed with a spoonful of dish soap powder to the sink and let it stay about an hour. By using dish soap or detergent, you can also make it as a ‘perfume’ to remove the stinky odor.
- After an hour, pour another boiling water and check if the drain is still unclogged.
(You may also like this: Astonishing Kitchen Lighting Ideas to Brighten Up Your Hub)
Now try these simple steps to clean your kitchen sink and drain and make them odorless and unclogged!