The kitchen is one of the basic rooms that every household has to have and one of the busiest areas that you will use every day. Not taking care of it well will only make your kitchen looks simply messy and smelly that can also later be a very attractive spot for roaches, weevils, mold, and other unwanted things to come. Therefore, just like other rooms, keeping your kitchen clean can make your chores become easier.
One of the important spots in a kitchen that sometimes might slip from our attention is a kitchen sink and drain. These two components always get exposed to debris, fat, oil, grease, and other materials from the dishes. When all this dirt is finally piling up, you will get nothing but a clogged drain, which can be very stressful. To prevent this from happening, there are some tips that you can try to make your kitchen sink and drain stay clean.
(You may also like this: 10+ Stunning Minimalist Kitchen Ideas To Create A Stylish Hub)
How to Clean Kitchen Sink and Drain
To do these simple steps, you will need simple and affordable supplies that you have to prepare, such as:
- Boiling water
- White vinegar
- Dish soap/detergent
- Baking soda
1. Baking Soda and Vinegar Mix
Well, these two supplies are very popular stuff that you have to have in a kitchen to solve some chores problem. As for baking soda, many people use it to remove the stinky smell instead of actually taking off the stain. However, in some cases, it works well to remove dirt and grease.
The step to use this combo is quite simple:
- First of all, prepare a gallon of boiling water and pour it into the sink. The purpose of this step is to make fat, oil, and grease in the drain become slightly ‘soft’.
- Second, pour 1 tbsp of baking soda and a cup of vinegar into the sink and let it sits for about an hour.
- Next, pour another boiling water into the sink to rinse the baking soda and vinegar mix.
- If your drain is still unclogged, you could pour another boiling water into the sink.
(You may also like this: Stunning Kitchen Remodel Ideas to Rejuvenate Your Hub Look)
2. Dish Soap/Detergent
No baking soda and vinegar? No worries because you can use regular dish soap or detergent as an alternative! The steps are just the same as how you use the mix of baking soda and vinegar. Some people may not too familiar with this combo but you could find some others who feel that this works better. The steps are:
- You could start the process by pouring a gallon of boiling water into the sink.
- Then proceed with a spoonful of dish soap powder to the sink and let it stay about an hour. By using dish soap or detergent, you can also make it as a ‘perfume’ to remove the stinky odor.
- After an hour, pour another boiling water and check if the drain is still unclogged.
(You may also like this: Sleek Wood Kitchen Ideas to Create a Warm Ambiance)
3. Regular Cleaning
The last step is basically the simplest and the basic thing that you need to do as a homeowner to keep the sink and drain controlled before everything piled up. Regular cleaning can be done once in one or two weeks. Some things that you can check regularly in this step are:
- Checking if there’s any leak that might cause dampness, mold, or mildew and fix it.
- Doing the cleaning by using a homemade mix as mentioned above.
- Checking and cleaning the drain to make sure that big wastes are not thrown away to the sink directly.
- Other methods that you may find useful and effective to make the area around the sink clean and waste-free.
If you spot leaks and continuous clog in your sink drain, you might have to open up the drainage by yourself or a plumber.
(You may also like this: Attractive Open Kitchen Ideas to Enhance Your Minimalist Home)
Those are simple steps that can make your cleaning process becomes easier, especially if you do these steps regularly. You can use simple ingredients that can be easily obtained right in your kitchen or nearest department store. Cleaning any room regularly is indeed more convenient because you don’t have to deal with piled debris that might lead to a clogged drain.
Now try these simple steps to clean your kitchen sink and drain and make them odorless and unclogged!