There are various ways how to make your furniture look good and new and one of them is by repainting. Some furniture, especially the ones that we use frequently like a dining table and chair can look worn since it’s exposed to chemicals, dirt, and grease.
Of course, instead of buying a new dining set that may cost you more, you would love to have the most affordable one that can be done by yourself. For you who are planning to repaint your dining room furniture like a table or chair, below we have a tutorial on how to repaint them without hiring a pro!
How to Repaint Dining Room Furniture
A smooth surface is important to make a good base for the whole repaint process because the bumpy and uneven surface will only make the result not satisfying.
- Make sure that you’re in a well-ventilated area since you’ll be facing the paint and its smell.
- Wear protective gear such as gloves, eyewear, and a face mask.
- Lay a drop cloth as the base of the table to prevent the paint from dripping to the floor.
- By using sandpaper, start cleaning your paint area to make the painting process goes smoothly. Just like how you paint a wall, you have to make sure that the surface is free from all barriers.
- If you have a surface that you don’t want to paint, use tape to mark that specific area.
- Once you’re done with the sand process, wipe the residue with a paper towel, soft cloth, or hand vacuum cleaner.
The next step is by applying a primer to prepare the paint to spread evenly and smoothly.
- Apply a thin layer of primer paint to the finished table that you have sanded before. Please make sure to coat evenly to every part of the surface.
- If there’s a small part that needs more detailed work, use spray paint or a small brush to reach that part.
- Once you finish, let it dry before continuing to the next step.
After the primed table is dry, it’s time to paint. There are various types of paints that you can use based on your needs.
- For the first application, you might need about two layers of paint to make a flawless finish using brushes.
- Use a roller to wipe away the brush strokes for the last coat if the first two layers are not smooth enough.
- Usually, by using latex or regular paint, you can mix some colors. However, in some cases, the finished hand feel and texture is quite difficult to clean and leave wipe marks when you clean it.
Some people prefer oil-based paint more because it’s more durable and easy to clean but the minus point is that it smells and takes more time to dry. Also, oil-based paints have limited color variations that might not be your style.
If you love the result, you could just stop until the last step. However, if you would like to add another protection to the table, cover it with another layer of polyurethane by using a specific brush to apply it. Once all the steps are done, let it dry for about 48 or 72 hours before you use it again. When it’s dry, clean the surface once again to make sure that you get your desired dining table.
Now it’s your turn to make your dining room furniture gets a new face by repainting it!